Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Radio Controlled flying


Starting out buying a 450 size collective pitch 3d helicopter a couple of years ago, I realized quickly it wasn't a good idea. Collective pitch (referred to as CP)  helicopters are very difficult to handle, specially when your new to the hobby and all your concentration goes to keeping the copter straight, how are you to navigate it?
I used a simulator for quite some time, didn't feel as real as the real deal but I got a hang of the navigation at least.

Shortly after I bought a piper 1050 mm wing span plane. used it to get a hang of navigation in real life. The piper must have been the most rewarding thing I bought that year. It was so forgiving, though I of course crashed a couple of times but the foam was repairable.

With more confidence I took more risks with the 450 copter and crashed. Had to change all the swash servos. back up in the air now more careful again.



Then I bought a micro quad for about 70 €, and damn! This was the way to train up for the 450. The quad handled like the copter but was more forgiving, centering out almost at once when you let the sticks go. And the crashing, weighing approx 33 g it was really durable.

Later on I bought a friend's old 400 size quad for camera lifting. I fried the control board with a loose wire and had to construct the quad from scratch using modular components.


Got it done fairly cheap and quickly. Thanks to the modular build it is easier to change components that break in a crash. Now I tried lifting my Canon Ixus pocket camera, weighing approx 185 g it's quite heavy for this setup. Got a few pictures taken simply by putting the camera on taking photos every 2-3 sec on interval.




Next project will be testing out fpv gear, mostly because the airsoft team demand a UAV for use in recon missions. This time I will build a Tricopter from scrath to get more agility for the reaco nmissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment